Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A "good loser"

I love tennis! I watch almost all final games of every major tournament, especially when my current favorite player, Rafael Nadal, is playing! He is such a fighter. His play is always very strong, energetic and speedy. He is persistent and doesn't give up. I really love watching his games.

In 2007 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal played against Roger Federer - another "one of the best of all time." They played against each other in 2006 Wimbledon final, too, and at that time, Federer won. In 2007, Federer was playing for his 5th title (and 5th consecutive) and Nadal was playing for his first title in Wimbledon.

It was such a close game. In fact, it was the third longest men's singles final of all time at 3 hours and 45 minutes. The result? Rafa lost again.

But I still remember his speech after this match. He said, "I'm a good loser." What? A "good loser"???

What he meant was (remember, his native language is Spanish!!) that he accepts his loss well. He does not make any excuses as to why he lost, but confronts the hard fact that he lost and that he lost because Federer's play was better in many aspects in the game today. He sees what his weaknesses are, what improvements he can make, so he can practice, get better at these points and come back as a stronger player.

Next year, the final was again, Nadal vs. Federere, and this time, Nadal won!

His attitude is very admirable. I know it's not easy sometimes. But that is why he's been one of the top players for many years now.

One of my very favorite authors, L. Ron Hubbard, said:

"Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today and you make your tomorrow."

This is a very helpful principle to follow. It saved me so many times.

Like just a couple of days ago, I made a pretty big mistake on something. I was a bit disturbed, as it couldn't be undone. I thought about it for a while, wondering what could have happened, if I didn't make the mistake. But it has already happened!! There is no point in keeping thinking about all sorts of "what if's"!

So I told myself, "OK, I made the mistake. It has happened already and it cannot be undone at this point. Let's stop thinking about it now and no look back! Let's see how I can avoid making the same mistake in the future and what I can do to make it up."

Once I took on this attitude, things started rolling again, and now I'm on the right track! And I'm sure I'll have better tomorrow!!

So I highly recommend you follow this principle, too!

:)

PS: When you are mentally very stressed, taking some vitamin B1 helps you tremendously. You can order at my online store, Kenkobi Factory: www.KenkobiFactory.com


2 comments:

  1. Is there anything you don't do well Tomoko!! lol!
    When things are not going right for me. I always think about the movie Braveheart. It's about how the Scottish won there Independence from England.
    These people had nothing and were greatly out numbered AND THEY STILL GOT IT DONE !
    So, when I begin to wine and complain about what ever is "wrong" with my life. I stop and think about Braveheart and Say to my self "How dare I complain". After that life's bumps seem to go away.
    Being passionate about something can be very inspiring.
    friend upton(e)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Tomoko. You're totally on target here!

    ReplyDelete